I am obsessed with bacon. I don’t just like it, I consume it in obscene quantities to the point where I had to implement a “bacon budget” to restrict myself to one pound a week because it was getting out of control. I know my friends over at 365 Days of Bacon understand. When my fellow bacon loving coworker heard about my new budget he proceeded to bring me cooked bacon one morning so I wouldn’t go through withdrawal , along with this shirt, which perfectly states how I feel about bacon:
In order to make my bacon limit last longer, I decided to start mixing it into foods I eat normally, in smaller quantities so I wouldn’t run out by Wednesday and be bacon-less until the following Sunday. I wanted something easy that wouldn’t take long to make, hence the Cooked Kale with Bacon.
Paleo Cooked Kale with Carrots
3 strips Nitrate free Bacon (peppered Whole Foods bacon is the best!)
2 bushels dinosaur kale (also called lacinto kale)
1 yellow onion
3 large carrots
1/2 cup chicken stock (or water if you really have no chicken stock)
1. Cook bacon until crispy in fry pan. Remove from fry pan but leave the bacon grease.
2. Chop the onions and carrots and add to the bacon grease. Cook for about 4 minutes on medium heat until the onions and carrots start to soften.
3. Chop up kale and add to the pan, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cover and let cook at low/medium heat for about 5 minutes or until kale has cooked.
4. Tear/cut bacon into small pieces and mix in with the cooked kale.
5. Enjoy your bacon knowing you are also getting some healthy vitamins from the kale and carrots!