If you don’t have a crock pot, you need to go out and buy one. Right now. Don’t worry, I’ll wait….. Got it? Good. Crock pots are one of the best inventions ever for those in a rush who still want to make nutritious meals.
Tuesdays are perfect days for crockpots because I have a class in the morning, then I go to work. If I turn the crockpot on after class I’ll have 7 hours of cooking time before I’m back home with a delicious meal waiting for me. This beef dish is one of my favorites. Every time I make it, I always get a text from my roommate saying how good the house smells. Best part? It takes all of 5 minutes to throw together and you’re done.
Paleo Crockpot Balsamic Beef Shank with Mashed Cauliflower
1lb-2lb (depending on how much meat you want) beef shank
1-2 tbsp coconut oil
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
15 ounce tomato sauce
4 dates (or more if if you really like dates, remove the pit first)
6 gloves garlic
1. Melt the coconut oil in a big pan on the stove over medium heat.
2. Add the beef shank to the coconut oil, browning on each side for 1-2 minutes.
3. Put beef shank in slow cooker, pour all the ingredients over it (including the melted coconut oil).
4. Leave in slow cooker on low for up to 8 hours, or on medium for 4-6 hours. Test the meat to see if it’s tender. It should shred easily.
5. Enjoy with a side of Paleo Mashed Cauliflower (also the simplest thing to make ever)
Paleo Mashed Cauliflower
1 Head of Cauliflower
Salt & Pepper
1 tbsp water
1. Steam the Cauliflower (or broil if you don’t have a steamer, but they are like 5 dollars at target and worth it)
2. Mash cauliflower with a potato masher. Add salt and pepper and water. That’s it. If you aren’t Paleo, feel free to add cream/butter like you would to normal mashed potato. Or if you want it tangy, add some lemon juice.