The beautiful 60+ degree weekend we had is but a memory and it has been replaced with cold, wet snow. Tomorrow morning I will most likely wake up to this view out the back of my apartment complex.October, 2012
To try to stay warm and cozy I decided to whip up a quick Shepard’s Pie (Paleo style, of course).
Paleo Shepard’s Pie*
1lb ground beef (I used 1.25 lbs because I like meat)
1 Onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup mushrooms (I didn’t use them in mine because someone I share my meals with hates them, but I think they would be good to add)
1 Tablespoon freshly chopped Sage
1 Tablespoon freshly chopped Rosemary
1 Tablespoon freshly chopped Thyme
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Tablespoon Potato Starch (sold in the cooking isle, right by corn starch)
1 head of cauliflower
salt and pepper
1. Brown beef in large sauté pan
2. Add parsnips, carrots, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Let cook for about 3 minutes
3. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and cook until parsnips/carrots are soft. Add about 3/4 of the herbs and mix. Pour mixture into oven safe dish.
4. Steam Cauliflower, when soft use potato masher to lightly mash
5. Add 1 egg and potato starch and remainder of herbs to mashed cauliflower and stir
6. Spread cauliflower mixture on top of the meat/veggie mixture.
7. Put in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the top is slightly browned.
8. Put a heaping portion on your plate and cozy up under some blankets to fight the cold!
* recipe adapted from Health-Bent